Friday, March 9, 2012

5 passions

University of Utah Sports

It is what I grew up with. We never missed football games, basketball games, or gymnastics meets. As a little girl, I wanted so badly to be a gymnast at the U. Obviously that didn't work out, which is ok. My brother played baseball for the Utes from 1998-2002. Now, my entire family (parents, siblings, grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins) all have season tickets to football and basketball. We are even adding a new member to the family who was a cheerleader. It is in our blood and there is no way it will ever leave. It's just too bad my husband can't convert :)

Utah Jazz

You cannot be a Utah'n without loving the Jazz. It is the only thing that brings the entire state together. Usually we are all split 50/50 with Utah and BYU. But when it comes to the Jazz, we all get along. One of my all time favorite moments was watching John Stockton hit "The Shot". Every Jazz fan will forever remember that moment.

St. Louis Cardinals

Baseball is my first love. I grew up at the baseball field watching my brother play. We were raised as we were with the Utes, cheering for the Cardinals. Red is good (Cardinals and Utes) and Blue is bad (Cubs and Cougars)...that is all we knew. This past season was honestly the most exhilarating few weeks of my life. The night of Game 6, I actually stopped breathing for close to a minute when David Freese hit is game tying triple in the bottom of the 9th. I was crying and that hard. I thought it was over. Then to have to go through it all over again in the 10th, going down...only to have Freese step up again and hit that Home Run. I have never been so happy in my entire life. I am so lucky to have experienced 2 World Championships in the past 6 years. It has been incredible.

RSL

This is a new passion that absolutely stems from Brian. He played soccer growing up, and was completely stoked when Salt Lake got a soccer team. He has been going to games since the beginning, and once we met he started taking me. Soccer has grown to be something I love watching. It is completely different from any sport most American's enjoy, which is why there is always the battle of soccer lovers vs. soccer haters. But once you understand it, it is absolutely a blast to watch. We are going into our 3rd year of having season tickets. We started with having 6 tickets in our group, to 8 last year...and now this year we have 23!!! We are so excited to have our own little cheering section.

Teaching

I already gave my spill on teaching in my last post. But I must add that teaching has to be the most frustrating job in the world, and at the same time the most rewarding. I honestly can say I am changing lives every day I go to work. That keeps my passion going when times get hard.

No comments: