Saturday, March 10, 2012

10 People who have influenced me

1. Grandma Afton

My Grandma was the most stubborn lady I have ever met, that's where I think I get it from. But she influenced my family every day by simply being a motherly figure. She helped everyone, before she helped herself. That, in my opinion, is what made her sick. But ultimately, she made sure everyone and everything was ok before she let herself reach ultimate happiness.

2. Grandma Dee

If anyone has met my Grandma, you know that she is the most welcoming person on the planet. Everyone is welcome at her home anytime. She has always been there for me. She never missed a gymnastics meet or cheer competition. She graciously takes care of our dog every single day. She provides family dinner every Sunday. She has made Brian one of her own grandchildren. I can honestly say I talk to my Grandma 6 days a week. I am an incredibly lucky girl to have had such a strong relationship with her.

3. Grandma Jean

There is not a more loving, soft spoken woman on the planet. I have never heard her raise her voice. She has supported my Grandpa through all of his crazy adventures and ideas. She has a beautiful mind and a fantastic artist. I have never spoken to her where she does not mention how proud she is of me and what I have chose to do in my life. You can sit with her for hours and talk about anything, and she will listen and give her advice. It breaks my heart that as I am writing this, she is slowing slipping away to a better place. I wish I could speak to her one last time just so she knows what an influence she has been to me if my life.

4. My Mom

I already gave a whole spill on my mom a few posts ago so I won't repeat myself. But what girl can say that her mom is not an incredible influence in her life.

5. Shannon Miller

Growing up, she was my gymnastics hero. She was never flashy in what she did, but she was always a rock. She was the exact gymnast I wanted to be. I still have her poster in our basement. Being like her was what motivated me to keep going when times got tough.

6. Mrs. Gherke

She was my first grade teacher. Looking back, the thing I loved most about her was how much she loved kids and how she made everyone feel like they were her favorite. That is what I strive to do with my kids. Every kids deserves a chance to learn and that is what she taught me, even as a 6 year old little girl. I have carried that throughout my life and into my career as a teacher.

7. Jerolee Maudsley

Jerolee changed my life. She took a chance on me becoming president of my sorority. Before then, I honestly never thought of myself as a leader. I remember her telling me the night I was called as president that she never questioned her decision. She taught me when it is time to butt in, and when you just have to let things run the course. Her believing in me brought out traits that I never thought I had. I am proud now to be a leader when needed. Her most important lesson came the last officer meeting we ever had..."Save your fork, because the best is yet to come" Leave it to Jerolee (aka Nipper La Mesa) to nail it on the head. The best was yet to come, I just needed her to push me in the right direction.

8. Anita Archer

I have never met her personally, but she has completely influenced how I teach my kids. She has this magical touch to keep every child engaged. She believes every child can learn and she proves it in her teaching style. She is engaging to watch as an adult. Her energy is addictive and it makes me want to be a better teacher every time I watch her.

9. Marjorie Hinckley
She never seemed to be in the spot light, yet some of her words and advice are incredibly powerful. One of my favorite quotes by her is "I don't want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully, tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long, perfectly manicured fingernails. I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp. I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbors children. I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someone's garden. I want to be there with children's sticky kisses on my cheeks and the tears of a friend on my shoulder. I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived"
That is exactly the life I trying to live.

10. Brian

What can I say? He is my biggest influence. He calls me out on my crap, he stands by me in my decisions, he supports me in my loves and passions, he allows me to be me (and loves me for it), he pushes me outside of my comfort zone to become the best person I can be and he will be an amazing father one day. I love him.

No comments: