Sunday, April 20, 2008

And so we wait...

So Saturday was the day we all look forward to, well at least my friends and family and most of the other Utah fans in the world, and that day is the Red and White Spring Game. We start talking about it the day after our bowl win. It is a chance to get a sneak peak at the future of Utah football. You also get to see old players, such as the amazing Eric Weddle, come back to coach the "rookies". And to our delight, we got to see him jump right in the middle of the game, no pads and all, to try and make a tackle. Oh how we miss him. But at the end of the day, it just leaves you CRAVING fall.

There really is nothing better in this world than stepping into Rice Eccles Stadium on a warm Fall afternoon. You hear the band playing Utah Man. You smell the hot dogs, popcorn, kettle corn, and roasted almonds. You see huge masses of red. You feel the excitement of yet another year. You already hear talk of how we can't wait to kick BYU's trash in November. You anticipate what is about to come. Will we ever have another perfect year like 2004? Will we start out the year 1-3 like 2007?

No matter what, it comes every year. Just as the sun rises and sets every day, so do the hopes and dreams of Utah fans. Fans like me, we live for this. I literally was raised on up on "the hill". My parents and grandparents used to be in charge of all the souvenirs for the Utes. So my childhood was not only attending Football, Basketball, Baseball, Gymnastics and many more Utah events, but I spent many afternoons running around the tunnels, back rooms and stadiums while my parents worked. You can count on one hand the home games I have missed in my lifetime. Most of them because of illness. I remember begging my parents to go to the 1988 Utah vs. BYU game even though I had been throwing up all morning. Yes in 1988 I was 4 years old. I knew at a young age how important those games are.

I love it! I crave it! I live for it! If the Utes lose, stay clear of my household. I dislike that team down south more than most people understand. The "pokes" could disappear into the dust of WYO and I would not shed a tear. The "Re-bels, Re-bels" could gamble themselves into the ground and I would not miss them. Its all about the Utes! Even though I am dating a BYU fan, and truly love him more than anything, I will not budge. I love my Utes! Win or lose, they are my team.

So after a fun day like yesterday, we wait. We wait and anticipate another fantastic season, full of blow outs ( Utah 44 UCLA 6 or Utah 50 WYO 0) or nail-biters (pretty much every BYU game, which PS...revenge is oh so sweet). So until then, I enjoy summer. Baseball, boating, camping and relaxing, but never letting the thought of fall leave my mind.

"I am a Utah man sir and I will be 'til I die" GO UTES!!!

2 comments:

Brynn and Jesse said...

AMEN!!!! I couldn't have said it better myself! Five months and counting!

Jason and Heidi said...

haha. That was a fun day! I am most likely going to post my pics today or tomorrow. I haven't uploaded them yet. I can't wait. 4 more months, and hopefully we can be a great team this year. Here we come Logan, Colorado Springs, and Sand Diego! The Utes are on their way! Should be fun road trips!