Monday, February 21, 2011

Day 29

I have learned one major lesson from this past month. Unfortunately it doesn't really have anything to do with this challenge or the goals I have set.

It started back on Jan. 11. (I only remember the date because it was the day of the Utah/BYU game). I started feeling sick early in the day and it quickly progressed into chills, fever, body aches and a sore throat. I decided it was best to stay home and cheer them on from the couch. Little to say it was a good decision as that night was terrible (ask Brian). But I woke up the next day feeling better, just tired and congested. Since that day, I have been dealing with congestion and it has been quite annoying.

Despite not feeling 100%, I still went about my life. Never missed a day of work (at both jobs) made it to every basketball game, hung out with friends and family, cleaned the house, and continued training for my 10k.

The week before Valentines Day I thought I had finally rid myself of it. I could breath at nights, mornings weren't spent decongesting, and I had energy again. Well, I was wrong. I woke up Feb 15, now 1 month and 4 days after it all began, and it had come on even stronger. Unfortunately I had early morning meetings every morning at school and could not afford to stay home for even one day. I tried to keep running. I still went to basketball games, the grocery store, etc. I took on the stress of work without even thinking that some things could wait a day.

Friday morning my vice principal came into my room to ask a question and it took her saying "Emily, you look sick. You can see it in your eyes" for me to finally admit I had bottomed out. I did feel sick, I had zero energy, and my body was finally shutting down.

With the help from Brian, Saturday was spent on the couch doing nothing. I slept in, watched 3 movies, took a nap and did nothing. I finally listened to my body and gave in. Sadly, I was forced to be a bum on Sunday (only going to my Grandmas for dinner) also. Today I felt better, so I tried running again, only to realize I am no where near where I should be with my energy. So I stopped at 2.17 miles and I don't feel bad about it. The laundry is still not done, I have not vaccumed in a week, and I have yet to run the errands I need to. But guess what, life has gone on.

So the lesson I learned is this...listen to your body the first time it tries to talk to you or 6 weeks later, you will still be fighting over the same thing and ultimately, it will win.

No comments: