Thursday, January 22, 2009

She's coming home!!!

Heather Nibley, one of my best friends in the entire world is coming home from her mission in the morning!!! I am so excited to see her again. She left in August of 2007 and has been serving in Vancouver, Canada. It has been a crazy year and a half and at times it has flown by, but at times I have really missed her, like when I missed her phone call home both Christmas 2007 and Mothers Day 2008. But talking to her this past Christmas I was instantly reminded of how much I love her and how excited I am to see her. 

For those of you who don't know, Heather is the one who introduced Brian and I, so she is a special person in our lives. Our story is one that when I look back on it, I really believe we were meant to be together. So in honor of Heather, I decided to share the story of Brian and I's beginning.

Heather and I started to be friends in the Spring of 2006 when I was called to serve on IC up in the LDS sororities. She had been serving on it the year before so she was my go-to-girl when I didn't know exactly how to feel about the calling. From our little talks in the Institute we became good friends.

In May, she planned a trip down to Vegas to see Rascal Flatts in concert. Anyone who knows Heather, she is all about mixing and matching social groups so everyone becomes friends. So it ended up being a completely random group of people (mainly just those who loved Rascal) that went. It was her, me, Erin Wiley, Dave Leavitt, Josh Checketts, and you guessed it Brian. I knew everyone but Brian but Heather reassured me that he was really cool, super chill, and we would totally get along great. So I jumped on board and was totally excited. 

About 3 weeks before the trip, Heather and I decided to have a joint birthday party since our birthdays are a week apart and we both were turning 22. The night before our big party she invited me to hang out with some of her friends and go to Desert Star Playhouse. So my good friend Lettie and I tagged along, even though we weren't really friends with her friends. When we got there, we saw the group and I recognized everyone but 1 guy. He was giving a shoulder rub to Heather's friend Brooke. Heather quickly made sure we were introduced and his name was Brian. I instantly knew that he was the Brian that was going on our trip. 

We sat by him during the play and anyone who knows me really well knows I tend to be sarcastic and outgoing. Well nothing changed and Brian had that exact same opinion of me, adding to it blunt and maybe slightly "bit***y" (if you catch my drift). But I stuck in his mind and that is where the party comes in.

The next night, Heather and I were together preparing for the party at her house when Brian  showed up early to help (since him and Heather were best friends). So while we were cutting up fruit, setting the table, and decorating, we bantered back and forth with each other, each  trying to top the other. Brian even made the comment while I was struggling to blow up a blow-up palm tree "I bet you have to come up for air when you make out". I was blown away, but couldn't help but laugh at the witty comment. From first look, you would think we hated each other. 

But as the night went on, those little moments stuck in Brian's head. Later in the night, he was sitting on her porch with Heather's sister Sara and noticing I was out out in the drive way with a group of guys. Sara got up and left and I looked over and noticed he was sitting alone, so me being the nice person I am, I left the guys and went to sit with Brian because I knew he did not know many people at the party. He was absolutely shocked I would leave those guys to come sit with him, so I must be interested in him. He took that thought and kept it in his head for the rest of the week. 

A few days later, I was going about my life as usual, not thinking of anyone in particular. Meanwhile, Brian had mentioned to Heather that he thought I was pretty cool and wanted to hang out more. He also mentioned to his grandparents that there was a certain girl he was thinking of asking out, but he was going on a trip with her and thought that might be awkward if things did not work out. Little did he know, things were going to speed up more than even he expected...

Since this is starting to get pretty long, I will write another post with the next part of the story in a few days. 

No comments: