Tuesday, February 7, 2012

A Night to Remember

As you may have guessed by now, I am a HUGE St. Louis Cardinals fan

So of course, like most Cardinals growing up in the 80's and 90's, my all-time favorite player is none other than The Wizard...


Ozzie Smith



He is best known for his backflips and insane plays, and that is one reason I LOVED watching him play baseball.

So when the opportunity came up to attend a banquet to meet him, it was a no brainer.

(It helps that it also was supporting the Utes Baseball team)

So my brother Adam, my cousins Andrew, Zack and Kelton, my Uncle Scott and my Grandpa (who by the way is the biggest Cardinals fan you will ever meet and we surprised him with this ticket for Christmas) and I all ponied up the money for a Once in a Lifetime chance to meet our childhood hero.



He was the most humble and gracious man to meet. He spoke on his journey to the pinnacle of his career, which was his induction into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 2002. He compared it to the characters in the Wizard of Oz (fitting) and said that all you need in life is a Mind to Dream, a Heart to Believe and Courage to serve men.

My favorite quote of the night was this
"Nothing is good enough if it can be made better, and nothing is better if it can be made the best"

I absolutely LOVED hearing that come from arguably the best short stop to ever play the game of baseball. That was his motto in life, and I think it was be applied into every area of my life.

It was a dream come true and a night I won't soon forget!




No comments: